Wednesday 28 December 2016

New year, new me! Why i'm going to try to make 'flexitarianism' work for me in 2017

It's that weird time of year... the few days between Christmas and the New Year when everything is a bit odd and nothing seems to operate as per usual. A great time for thinking up some new year's resolutions!

I'm met with eye-rolls when I mention 'flexitarianism' and I admit I use it with a fair amount of irony (but hey, it’s had a guardian article written about it, so it must be a thing). But essentially it’s being semi-vegetarian - I'm trying to be realistic with my ability to cut out something I'm so used to having in my diet, whilst also making sure my mum doesn't think I'm going to waste away from lack of meat (I'm sure the veggies I know have tried in vain to argue that point with concerned relatives). I tried going full vegetarian in 2016 and I failed not long after starting - I blame my poor cooking skills for several failures in the cooking vegetable curry area that have made me dread using sweet potatoes. So my aim for 2017 is to eat a higher proportion of vegetarian meals, and if possible to limit myself to 2 portions of meat and 1 portion of fish per week. After being introduced to the wonders of coconut milk chocolate mousse, I’m also motivated to try and use non-dairy alternatives where possible. In terms of the meat I am eating, my intention is to stay far away from water and energy intense beef, the food with the highest environmental impact.

My personal opinion is that including meat in our diets is not an inherently bad thing - my issue with our carnivorous diet is the excess to which society has taken it. The cruelty in the meat industry is a response to demands for enormous amounts of cheap meat, and the environmental costs associated with this are high. As with many things, I believe that small steps taken by many can make a big impact, and from developing a greater understanding of the risks posed to global biodiversity by climate change I am more convinced than ever that society has a responsibility to act on global environmental change.

The environmental argument for cutting down on the meat in our diets is present in literature. Globally, annual meat consumption increased by 23 kg per person from 1950 to 2005 (ref), rising in accordance with many of the other measures of anthropogenic change, and an increased consumption of beef has also been linked to regional and global climate change. According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO), livestock is responsible for a higher proportion of global greenhouse gas emissions than transport. Yet the majority of environmental activism encourages us to use the bike rather than a car but not to cut down on how much beef we eat.

In terms of freshwater use, meat consumption is known to be a significant contributor to water footprints, accounting for 41-46% of overall water consumption, compared with the 8% consumed for domestic use. Rising irrigation has been linked to increasingly frequent incidences of water scarcity which threatens to leave staggering numbers at risk in the future. With around 34% of agricultural land used to produce feed for livestock there is no doubt that meat consumption has played a large role in this.

Switching to a more plant-based diet would help to reduce these environmental impacts. Westhoek et al found that reducing meat, dairy and egg consumption by half in the European Union would lead to a reduction of 40% in our nitrogen emissions and 25-40% in our greenhouse gas emissions. Furthermore, nitrogen use efficiency of our food production would increase by up to 30%. These are not insignificant figures, and point to a large positive impact from more vegetarian diets.

But it’s not just emissions that are the issue, land degradation that reduces the available habitat for biota is in great part caused by the rearing of livestock for meat. 26% of ice-free land is used for grazing, and FAO outline the increased numbers of livestock as a key factor in deforestation. Even more shocking, they report that almost a third of terrestrial ecoregions consider livestock as a threat to biodiversity. If we want to protect more land for biodiversity and conserve species at risk, then cutting down on the amount we use for livestock is a sensible, and plausible, option.

There’s a lot of evidence stacked against meat consumption, and I’m going to try and keep this in mind every time I do my weekly shop.


Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment